VMware Cloud Community
mark_casemore1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to get my head around VCB

I am a noob to ESX3 so please bare with me, I just need to understand something which is puzzling me. If I run VCBmounter on my VCB proxy using the following (vcbmounter -h 172.20.0.29 -u root -p XXXXXXXX -a ipaddr:172.20.0.21 -r g:\vcb\l-admin-prt-02 -t file -m san), does this copy the vmdk files to my proxy server OR create a link between the proxy and the ESX host to allow me to back up the VMDK files by another method, or, am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In that example (for a file backup) it takes a snapshot and just mounts it on the VCB server - no copy is done.

But the snapshot is kept open till you have finished the backup.

If you are doing a "fullvm" backup - the data is copied directly to the VCB - once the copy is finished the snapshot is removed (and the backup just works on the copied data).

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In that example (for a file backup) it takes a snapshot and just mounts it on the VCB server - no copy is done.

But the snapshot is kept open till you have finished the backup.

If you are doing a "fullvm" backup - the data is copied directly to the VCB - once the copy is finished the snapshot is removed (and the backup just works on the copied data).

Dinny

0 Kudos
mark_casemore1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for explaining that to me, has made it a bit easier to understand.

0 Kudos