VMware Cloud Community
accordcp96
Contributor
Contributor

Transporting Templates

Hello All,

I have created a template from a VM using the "Clone to Template" option in VC2. I would like to transfer to this template to another ESX Host in another datacenter. The ESX servers do not share a datastore, and I was unable to "Clone" the template using VC2.0. "The input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter".

What's the best way to get this template to the other ESX host/datacenter?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nadger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the datacentre is connected via a decent network link i would SCP the template between the 2 ESX hosts. If not your only option is to copy the template to some kind of USB device.

0 Kudos
M_Drost
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used WINSCP to copy it to a USB disk and moved it around. I installed WINSCP on the VirtualCenter/license Server.

0 Kudos
accordcp96
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all of the reply's. Back in the ESX 2.5 days, there was a vmkfstools -e/-i command which was used to move vmdk's from one server to another.

This also had the benefit of decreasing the size of the vmdk's.

Is there a similar process in VI3? This will decrease the amount of data that needs to be transfered from one data center to another.

Also, The template is now an entire folder. Does the whole folder need to be brought over, or can the template be "recreated" from just the vmdk?

0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend avoiding transporting templates. You can copy them using WinSCP, but you now risk corruption. VMDK files should stay on a VMFS partition at all times.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If both ESX servers are controlled by a VC 2 box and they have separate local datastores do this:

Right click on the template and then choose clone. When you are asked to choose which ESX server to move it to, choose the ESX server you would like it moved to. When the process is complete the template will reside as well on the other ESX server. This most likely behind the scenes just a copy between the two ESX servers.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

I have successfully moved almost 100 templates from one data center to another using WinScp, to be on the safe side once in the new environment convert it to a virtual machine, clone it and then mark as template.

0 Kudos
VMwareman85
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my environment:

[u]Virtual Center 2.1[/u]

2 - Data Center environments[/u][/b]

DataCenter 1[/b] has (3) - ESX Host in a Cluster and connected to SAN

DataCenter 2[/b] has (1) - ESX Host all data is on Local Disks

There is a Template on Data Center 2[/b] that I need to copy over to DataCenter 1[/b]. So I tried WINSCP, CP, FastSCP to copy over the template. I'm always getting connection refused by the destination:

Example of the error for fastSCP:

ERROR: (CANNOT CONNECT SOCKET) CONNECTION REFUSED

Operation canceled

Any suggestions?

**There are no firewalls[/b] setup between the host**

**Login as root[/b]**

**Also root SSH has been enabled[/b], verified all is well through a putty session**

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for all of the reply's. Back in the ESX 2.5

days, there was a vmkfstools -e/-i command which was

used to move vmdk's from one server to another.

This also had the benefit of decreasing the size of

the vmdk's.

Is there a similar process in VI3? This will

decrease the amount of data that needs to be

transfered from one data center to another.

Also, The template is now an entire folder. Does the

whole folder need to be brought over, or can the

template be "recreated" from just the vmdk?

That's probably your best (and easiest) bet, if you're familiar with the process already! A template is basically just a VM with the config file's extension renamed from .vmx to .vmtx. Essentially, here's what I would do in your situation to get this done quickly (quickie instructions, since you seem versed):

1. Create a new VM on the secoind server, then remove any references to the .vmdk file (the VI client can do this quickly and cleanly).

2. Export the vmdk file from the template to wherever you want

3. Move the .vmdk file over to the host in the second datacenter.

4. Re-import the .vmdk file to the newly created VM's folder

5. Attach said vmdk to the VM

6. Power it on just to make sure all is well, apply any updates/changes that may need to be made for that datacenter.

7. Power down VM and mark as a template.

Hope that helps!

-Steve
0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've posted updates on this in other discussions, but what has worked really well for me is using esxRanger to tarball the templates down to a manageable size, then robocopy over a WAN to global locations. Yes you do need esxRanger for this, you can download the 30 trial and test this out.

0 Kudos
Oli_L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ranger is the backup version for esx-essentials?

What about using esx Replicator?

0 Kudos