VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Transfering license between ESX hosts

Hi,

We have decommisioned a ESX 3 box. I want to use the license for a new ESX box (v3.5).

Can someone point me into right direction? We are making use of a license server. The license

was added to the license file when we installed it originally.

What is the easiest way to assign it to new box?

cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nekshot
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure exactly, but I believe disconnecting and removing the server from Virtual Center's inventory will reliquished that license.

I am not sure how long it will take for this to be reflected in VC.

I just removed a server that I had a problem importing into VC. Looking at the license tab it consumed a license though it was disconnected.

After Removing the "Unwanted" esx server from the VC inventory and stop/starting the license server service on the VC host. My License that was once consumed is now shown as availible.

Stop/Starting the License Server I did show a full availible license count. After browsing the inventory of each esixting host in VC's inventory I was able to go back into my License Tab, click refresh, and see the true license used/availble count.

I hope that helps -- perhaps one new to another.

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Boot the new ESX server, and point it at the license server. It will aquire the license it needs. If it errors out, restart LM tools on the license server, and it will work.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

It is all a lot clearer now Smiley Happy Ta

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos