VMware Cloud Community
C_R_M
Contributor
Contributor

Transfering data from vmfs to ntfs or ftp or...

I have an array that I have mounted with only read access that I want to get everything off the vmfs (the array has issues). and then transfer it to another location. I have presented another lun and am in the process of copying the data over to the new lun but ultimately I either need to get this to an ntfs partion via mayb winscp or perhaps there is a better way. If I understand correctly in order to put the vmdks onto ntfs i need to run something along the lines of

vmkfstools -i /path/to/your/vm.vmdk -d 2gbsparse

/path/to/the/new/exported/vm.vmdk <!-- BEGIN attachments ><! END attachments ><! BEGIN content details -->

<!-- END content details-->

and then copy via winscp of course for 2 tb lun this will be a bit tedious as there are multiple vmdk's am I missing anything?

Is there a simpler way?

I am going to end up needing to get this offsite but there is no direct link to any of the internal storage to the external net hence why I am thinking i need to convert it and then move it onto ntfs somewhere

this is ESX3.5u2

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

vmkfstools -i /path/to/your/vm.vmdk -d 2gbsparse

/path/to/the/new/exported/vm.vmdk <!-- BEGIN attachments ><! END attachments ><! BEGIN content details -->

<!-- END content details-->

and then copy via winscp of course for 2 tb lun this will be a bit tedious as there are multiple vmdk's am I missing anything?

Is there a simpler way?

Yes use 'VMware Converter' to convert the VMs to somewhere local then copy the data. It is at least a graphical approach. THat is if the files are VMs, which they sound to be. Another option is to use 'vcbMounter' to in effect 'backup' the files. Another option would be to use the Datastore browser and then 'download' to a local machine.

I am going to end up needing to get this offsite but there is no direct link to any of the internal storage to the external net hence why I am thinking i need to convert it and then move it onto ntfs somewhere

In this case VMware Converter is the easiest method. You can use converter to export the VM. Also, if all you need to do is move the data to the other LUN why not use the VIC via vCenter and migrate the VM?

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could also get the trial of vRanger of esXpress and use those to backup and restore the VM's...which is typicalyl what I do...

Not only is it effective, you get to test out software for backing up and restoring vm's in a real environment.

0 Kudos