VMware Cloud Community
anatanotenshi
Contributor
Contributor

Time synchronization

Greetings.

I trying to synchronize the time of my host with VMware, is there any way??? Look that this is not guest-host OS synchronization, cause actually, they are configured to do so via vmware tools...

Guest have a certain time, VMware has another time and phisical host has another one :(.....

Thank in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

what guest os are your running?

Do you have your ESX hosts configured with some public NTP source? Do ESX hosts get "proper" time?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
anatanotenshi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for your answer.

I'm running windows 2003 Enterprise and not using a public NTP source.I suppose ESX host is not getting proper time cause BIOS and VI Client/configuration/time show different things...

I found, once, a document that esplained how to do that synchronization but I cannot find It now...

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your Windows VM a domain member? If so it is getting it's time from the domain controller(s). When you set up your ESX host did you clear the check box for UTC when you were setting the time zone?

0 Kudos
anatanotenshi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot.

That explains well the basis of time sinchronization, I was talking of host - ESX synchronization, actually I don't care too much about too much about acurate time. The paper doesn't explain about practical solutions...

0 Kudos
anatanotenshi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

No, the VM is not a member of a domain, I'm worried about my ESX time, It shows red (6:30 am) in configuration tab at VI client so I went to the console first and ask for date which shows 17:31 but my CMOS has a time of 10:30 am. So I guess the only thing I have to do is to synchronize ESX time (date actually) to my phisical host CMOS. That is something I had done time after, but now I can not find the papers that explain that.... By the way, because of the fact that I don't want a too much accurate time I don't use UTC, I prefer my guest OSs to synchronize with host which I do with VM Ware tools, they don't use UTC neighter.

0 Kudos