VMware Cloud Community
juergen_thurau
Contributor
Contributor

Time Problem

Hello,

I've got a question. The Virtual machines got the time via the VMWare Tools syncronisation with the VMHost.

How often will the time syncronise? And what will happen, when the daylight saving will be?? The Windows machines will switch between summer and winter time but the VMWARE Host will not switch automatically.

I hope you know what i mean.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unless you are on ESX 3.0.1, you'll need to get the latest patch for your version of ESX that has the updates for the early time change over.

-Randy

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

If you patch the ESX host with the proper DST updates, everything will be fine.

The VM Tools are a real time tool. So when the ESX host time/date changes all the guests will get notified immediately, so the synch happens constant.

0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Time synchronization between the VM and the host is not constant. Vmware Tools will push the VM every 30 seconds or so as it begins to lose time due to lack of CPU cycles. Ensure that your ESX host is using ntp time through either your internal time server or an internet-based one. KB article 1339 outlines how to configure this. Use either Windows time or the host's time keeping, not both.

Some VMs including those with heavy Java apps will also lag more than others so be careful where you place time-sensitive VMs. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos