VMware Cloud Community
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There is no more space for the redo log

I'm getting the follow error when making some changes in a VM.

"There is no more space for the redo log of XXXXX.vmdk You may be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant partition, and clicking Retry, Otherwise, click abort to terminate"

Here is the kicker, this VM does not HAVE any snapshot's ( at least none shown in Snapshot manager) and there are no REDO log's in this VM's directory. There are some XXXX-delta.vmdk files which I suspect have something to do with this mess.

There was a snapshot created of this VM, but then deleted, and now with no snapshots I keep running into this error when any change is made to this VM.

Any thoughts? I'de vmware-cmd or vmfsktools to commit the redo logs if I saw any....

0 Kudos
23 Replies
ssarav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As info..

I had the same issue. The VM was configured with non-persistent disk and redo logs was about 1.8 Gigs.

Once I shutdown the VM the redo log deleted automatically.

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. Windows 2000 guest, took a snapshot, server started complaining about lack of space for redo logs so I shut it down and deleted all snapshots. Rebooted and it still complained about a lack of space for Redo logs. I had to move another guest to get the system to boot. Snapshot manager says there are not snapshots, but when I look at the guest's files I still see the deltas. Definite bug.

0 Kudos
captthud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, learning on the job with production hardware...

I have a fileserver VM that boots from one datastore and keeps its giant pile of data on another. I created a snapshot of the computer to perform a hot backup. Everything was going well until I got the terrible "There is no more space for the redo log" error. The differential data was being placed on the first (very small) datastore and had filled it to the brim.

"Oh, I'll just delete the snapshot and try again later." Ha.

I'll skip the details that everyone else has already covered and get to the part that counts. When I was browsing around the datastore configuration, I saw a little box that said datastores could span multiple extents. (ie: hardware RAID sets) I found some fugly old SCSI drives (one was 11 years old!) and scraped together a 9GB RAID-1 on the second channel of my SCSI card. I added this extent to the existing datastore, providing a litlte breathing room for the merge process. I'm running ESXi 3.5, so I don't have any of the fancy backup tools and partition managers. I created a new snapshot of the machine, and then pressed Delete All Snapshots. Some nail biting and lots of disk grinding later, all of my disks were merged and I didn't have to commit seppuku in the server closet.

Note: after you add an extent to a datastore, you can't remove it. I've got an external power supply and two drives precariously placed inside a milk crate near my server. I'm migrating to new hardware in a week or two so it's no big deal for me. (The old physical file server will be phased out soon - when it goes away, its hardware will become the final home of the virtual machines.)

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clone this particular VM on different datastore and delete existing VM.

Regards,

Jas aka Superman

MALAYSIA VMware Communities

'If you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers ***

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos