VMware Cloud Community
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are not Enough Licenses Installed

Morning Guys

I am running ESX Version 3.0.1 and this morning had a problem with the server this showing as "disconnected" from the Virtual Infrastructure client.

To try and resolve this matter I removed the server via the Infrastructure client and then tried to add "new host"

After entering the username and password to add the host back in, I keep receiving the following error message:

"There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation"

How can this be when we have been running the ESX server previously without any issues?

Can anybody shed some light on this matter for me?

Kind Regards

Goose

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It may help to reload your license file. Open the VMware License Server Tools app, select the Start/Stop/Reread tab and click on Reread license file.

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dave

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not that familiar with the process you mentioned as a colleague of mine installed the licenses and is unfortunately on annual leave.

Can you detail the process for me?

Thanks mate

0 Kudos
pauliew1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mmm I don;t know if this is the same problem I had. The only way I could resolve it was to reboot the virtual center server. For some reason the vc holds on to the previously allocated license and it needs to be released so that your esx server can pick it up again. In order to add a license go into the v inf client. Click the esx server you want. Go to the storage config tab and then click licensing link.

cheers,

paul

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

You could just restart the VC service, it's quicker.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Login to your virtual center server and then on the start menu go to Vmware\VMware License Server and you'll find License Tool there. Once you have it started, just follow the instructions below.

It may also help to restart the License service and then reread the license file again. The License service is a regular windows service and is called VMware License Server.

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys

Sorry I have wasted everyones time!!!

I checked our license file and noticed one of the products had expired mid April, however as we had a connection already being made to the license server this was not causing an issue.

I have now loaded the new license file which a colleague of mine had located on the server but had not mapped the path to it.

MASSIVE SCHOOLBOY ERROR!!!

Thanks Guys

Goose

Message was edited by:

Gooose

Message was edited by:

Gooose

0 Kudos