VMware Cloud Community
RAM9999
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware ESX Server does not have persistent storage

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Issue: Rebuilt an ESX host (from scratch) and once I added it to Virtual Center I am now receiving the following message "The VMware ESX Server does not have persistent storage". This server is 1 of 5 in the cluster. The data storage is comprised of LUN's from the SAN. This host see's the the data storage in VC (See attached image) however if I run /vmfs/volumes from the console it does not see any data storage volumes. I can not add any data storage because VC already see's them all.

Do I right click on each data storage lun that is populated in the VC and click 'remove' and then readd them? If I click on 'remove' I receive a warning stating that "This operation will permanently delete all the files associated with the virtual machines on this datastore.". That is a scary message.

12 Replies
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RAM999...

Don't remove!!

What has changed with the re-install?

Any VMware ESX version changes or upgrades? any other changes to infrastructure?

What are the versions of ESX for all of your ESX servers?

regards

Bernie

http://sanmelody.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

try rescanning the hba's again, if that fails restart the management agent on the esx box.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

RAM9999
Contributor
Contributor

I rescaned the HBA's several times and also restarted the management agent (service mgmt-vmware restart) to no avail. Then I remembered that we removed the Fibre connections to this host during the rebuild process and never put them back in. I did a 'shutdown -h now' and then attached the Fibre cables and powered on the server. Resolved the problem. Thanks for your assistance. I assume the data stores that the VI client was seeing were phantoms from when it was connected to the SAN.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
hegars
Contributor
Contributor

We came across this same problem and could clear the error/message by connecting directly to the ESX itself and rescanning HBA's. The error was present when we connected first to the ESX but after the rescan the error was cleared from both the ESX and VC.

This message had never presented itself for us before V3.5 Update1.

Pretty annoying and wastes a lot of admin time looking for the cause!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As a friend of mine likes to say the VI CLient lies - use the following command form the service console cli - esxcfg-rescan vmhba1 - this will rescan the hba from the esx server

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
harunsahiner
Contributor
Contributor

go to vc and select esx host, configuration tab > add storage > select disk/lun radio button next and select device ....

I've encountered the same problem. was solved as above.

server : IBM blade hs20

http://harunsahiner.blogspot.com
GreenSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have a problem when upgrading the firmware of ESXi 3.5 to Build 184326

I have 3 hdd's which worked fine, after the upgrade it gives me the error and all my VM's are inaccessible but surprisingly the HDD where VM ESXi sits still works (although VM Inf Client does not detect it)

I checked the storage adapters, and i can see all of the drives. I also used the add storage feature where i could see the drives, but i am afraid if i add them i may loose the data on the drives.

Tried rescanning as well with no luck.

Under the events it gives me the following error: Issue detected on esxi100 in datacenter: LVM 4482 vmbha100:0:0:1 may be a snapshot, disabling access, see resignaturing section in the SAN config guide

Whats the best way to get this done? I am a newbie at ESXi, basic management so please help this is urgent. I need to see the datastores which i cannot.

0 Kudos
GreenSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Guys found the solution

Changed the CMOS to AHCI for SATA Drives and it worked.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

"Then I remembered that we removed the Fibre connections to this host during the rebuild process and never put them back in. "

hahahahha . . .that really tickled me :smileylaugh: - Genius! - thanks for posting back

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
dsohal
Contributor
Contributor

do you have the screen shots for this changes you made, I would appreciate, my email is dsohal1412@gmail.com

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

dsohal,

This thread is over three years old, and the person who you have queried doesn't appear to have been here since.

You are likely running a much newer version of ESX than is discussed in this thread.

Your best bet for assistance is to create a new post detailing your environment and the exact problem you are having.

0 Kudos
RodrigoFerreir1
Contributor
Contributor

6. Re: The VMware ESX Server does not have persistent storage

harunsahinerNovice

go to vc and select esx host, configuration tab > add storage > select disk/lun radio button next and select device ....

I've encountered the same problem. was solved as above.

server : IBM blade hs20

This solved my problem too. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos