VMware Cloud Community
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Testing vmotion DRS HA clustering in a single box

Hello All:

I have a decommisioned HP proliant server I am trying to use for ESX testing/learning. What I am trying to accomplish is install atleast two ESX Servers, and Opefiler iscsi to test vmotion, DRS, and HA. I tried nesting ESX virtual machine on an ESX server and I am getting "No supported network devices found" error. Have any of you tried to accomplish all of this on a single box. Please help, I am new to vmware, and trying to learn as much as possible.

ciao

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
12 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

First off, make sure your physical hardware is on the ESX(i) 4 HCL and all subsequent components such as network card, raid controllers, etc.

If you haven't seen this post already, this article shows how you can run ESX within ESX: http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I wouldn`t recommend you to use OpenFiler, espesially if you are just learning. OpenFiler, as all Linux and free solutions, is a little bit hard to use if you are new to it. I would you try some Windows-based solutions such as StarWind or DataCore either Lefthand. AFAIK StarWind has a free option of it`s software, which is limited about functions, but will give you general options you need to use.

eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mr. Lam, thanks for the prompt response. This server used to be our ESX server, but it has been decommionsed recently. Now I am trying to use it for testing. It has 4GB memory, 2 xeon processors, and plenty of hard disk space. I would like to virutalize ESX 3.5 rathan than Vsphere.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TimPhillips, thanks for the suggestion. I will checkout your solutions.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I tried nesting ESX

virtual machine on an ESX server and I am getting "No supported network

devices found" error. Have any of you tried to accomplish all of this

on a single box.

-

I run eight nested ESX 4.0 VMs on the two AMD Athlon X2 7750 boxes described here:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/218140

Quite a few tweaks (and late nights) to get VMs running correctly on the nested ESX 4.0 VMs.

Datto

0 Kudos
mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Here is my scenario built on a quad core Intel machine with 4 gig of ram

with a two Sata HD, this is for a testing purposes.

- Installed W2k3 on the machine ad a DC,

- VMworkstation of top of it

- and built two ESX3.5 on it as well with an XP VM for the vcenter.

Lods of documentation can be found on how to setup ESX 3.x and the 4 Version

on a VMware Workstation.

you can play with the workstation version of VMware to add Nic cards and

also do some more.

If not found, I can sent you the links.

Facile comme Bonjour.

.MB

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mouradb:

Appreciate, if you could send me the link.

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:35:56 -0700

To: baig17@hotmail.com

Subject: New message: "Testing vmotion DRS HA clustering in a single box"

A new message was posted in the thread "Testing vmotion DRS HA clustering in a single box":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1369921#1369921

Author : mouradb

Email : mourad.boubchir@gmail.com

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/mouradb

0 Kudos
el86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi eldingo,

You probably found this link already, but here it is anyway: http://vinf.net/2008/05/18/running-esx-35-and-3i-under-vmware-workstation-65-beta-build-91182/

I used NFS for shared storage on my test lab. I used Ubuntu server, it took less than 20 minutes to install it and create the NFS shares.

Regards,

0 Kudos
mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

At this website, I've found much of the documentation I needed to install and configure ESX3.x and 4 on a VMware workstation, as I said, I've installed a W2k3 DC and then the VMware workstation and from there I now have two ESX4 version and an openfiler as the iSCSI storage, It works welland running XP and CentOS on both ESX servers.

Note that you can install VC on a DC but this is not recommen.

If you need some other links and blogs, send me your email address and I will send you the best I have,

Good day.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mouradb, thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

We all here to help each other, Just had a try installing VC 4 on a DC and this doen't work due to the ADAM you will need to have this on a sepatare Vmachine or on a standalone phisical one.

Good luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

MB

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos