VMware Cloud Community
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Templates

Hello,

Is there a difference between where I can store Normal and Compact templates? I'm sure I read somewhere that a Normal template could be stored in a VMFS or NFS, but a Compact template could only be stored in VMFS-3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe they can be stored in either location -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Compact mode is a "think provisioned" version to use less space.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of the difference between the two, my question was about where I could store them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe they can be stored in either location -

0 Kudos
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thnaks for the reply.

I've just found where I read it, my HP VI3 course manual. It says, 'With compact disk format, the virtual disk files are compressed to remove redundant information and save space. This is only supported on VMFS-3 datastore, and the server may ignore this for disks on other types of datastores.' I see what it's saying here, my mistake. The templates can be stored on either NFS or VMFS datastores, the compression is only supported on VMFS-3.

Cheers

0 Kudos