VMware Cloud Community
mohanad_cs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Telne & FTP Connection Refused

Hi,

I download all ESX 3.0.1 Patches "Security & Critical" , So There is special order to Install Them or shall I start one by one, it will not make any sense.

Second issue: I am not able to telnet & ftp to ESX 3.0.1 since I enable the firewall to allow all Incoming & outgoing & added Specific port 21, 23 to be open for incoming & outgoing connection using this commands.

esxcfg-firwall -o 21,tcp,in

esxcfg-firwall -o 21,tcp,out

esxcfg-firwall -o 23,tcp,in

esxcfg-firwall -o 23,tcp,out

Thanks in Advanced

Best Regards

Mohanad R.Aljabi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please don't - use the links I gave you above to get an scp product if you are using windows to SC.

Use standard scp commands if you are going Linux to SC.

For Console access use an ssh product such as Putty

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install the patches in the order they were released.

Simply opening the ports isn't sufficient, you have to enable the servers too. AFAIK these aren't available with a default install.

I recommend NOT to use telnet and ftp. With ssh / scp the secure equivalents are available.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree, I would use scp - try

WinSCP

or

Veeam FastSCP

0 Kudos
mohanad_cs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

How Can I enable Telnet & FTP Servers on ESX Server 3.0.1

Best Regards

Mohanad R.Aljabi

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you CAN install a telnet daemon and a ftp daemon from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (or CentOS3) and enable them with chkconfig. But really, you DON'T want to do that.

The Service Console is a very powerful place, and it needs to be secured. Telnet and ftp have no protection against eavesdropping, network sniffing, man in the middle attacks, replay attacks, and all kinds of other nasty tricks that Secure Shell (ssh and scp) protects you from !

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please don't - use the links I gave you above to get an scp product if you are using windows to SC.

Use standard scp commands if you are going Linux to SC.

For Console access use an ssh product such as Putty

0 Kudos