VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Teaming of Service Console

Hi,

Is it recommended to team service console?

When I install ESX , the first NIC Card was used to enter the IP Address.

Now do I get the second NIC to be part of the service console teaming?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Click on the properties link for the virtual switch and it will bring up a windows with two tabs one tab will be network adapter - it is o n this tab that you will be able to add an additional adapter tot his vswitch.- this can be done without removing the service console port - the teamin is not done at the service console it is done at the virtual switch level - you might want to review the networking section of it details how networking is done in your host and how physical NICs are you used -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to add a second physical NIC to vSwitch0 - this will allow you to set NIC teamiing to Service Console port - actually it will allow you to nic team any port or port group on that switch -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you mean I need to remove all the setting below, then add Networking (select 2 NIC) for teaming?

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How many Nics do you have on this box? If you have enough, remove the VMNetwork and IPStorage form the same Nic as the Service console and give them their own Nic. Then add the second Nic in to team up the Service Console. I'm a true believer in giving the service console its own Nic.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do as weinstein5 describes....

We set the service console use vmnic0 as primary and failover to vmnic1

Then we also add Vmotion and do failover setup in reverse order...

This works very well and gives you 1 GB for both vmotion and Console and also failover for both....

br

Lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

My question has not yet answer.

I have 3 NIC on my esx. By defalt when ESX is installed, it uses the first NIC with an IP being configure.

What is the step taken to add another NIC to team together with the above NIC.

Is it a MUST to remove the default ESX Service console. Then select 2 NIC to team together. Is this the only method?

What if I do not want to remove the defaul ESX service console and just add a New NIC. When i go to that ESX Sevice Console -> Properties-> Teaming, I can't see additional NIC

Thanks

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You go to the ESX Sevice Console -> Properties-> Select Network Adapters Tab -> Add... -> then pick your adapter and follow the wizard

Why do you want to use 2 NICs on the SC? Won't that just leave you 1 for your VM network.

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

Not all network cards are compatible with ESX, you should check the HCL for the cards that are installed.

See page 25

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Click on the properties link for the virtual switch and it will bring up a windows with two tabs one tab will be network adapter - it is o n this tab that you will be able to add an additional adapter tot his vswitch.- this can be done without removing the service console port - the teamin is not done at the service console it is done at the virtual switch level - you might want to review the networking section of it details how networking is done in your host and how physical NICs are you used -

0 Kudos