VMware Cloud Community
RaMorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Syslog forwarding...Local copy???

Hi all,

My concern is: If I do the syslog forwarding to another server, will the syslogs be redirected there without leaving a local copy of them?

Or, will the logs be hosted locally and the forwarnding only sends a copy of them to a remote server?

Is there something that could be "configured" to leave a local copy & do the forwading of syslog?

Thanks to all for your time!

Regards,

RaMorn

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can log to both a remote syslog server and the local logs, just leave the standard logging settings in syslog.conf and add your remote server as well - don't remove the /var/log/messages lines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can log to both a remote syslog server and the local logs, just leave the standard logging settings in syslog.conf and add your remote server as well - don't remove the /var/log/messages lines.

0 Kudos
RaMorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mittel!!!

Btw, do you know if to perform the forwarding is completely necessary that the service console is on the same VLAN?

Just to clarify,

I have 2 VLANs coinfigured, 192.168.1.x and 165.123.10.x, and I already have a service console configured on the 192.168.1.x VLAN, but, the server that must receive a copy of the syslog is placed on the VLAN 165.123.10.x...

Thanks !

RaMorn

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They don't need to be on the same VLAN, traffic just needs to be routable from the client to the syslog server on UDP port 514.

If you found these posts helpful please remember to award points. Smiley Wink

Alex

RaMorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Done! :smileygrin:

Thanks!

0 Kudos