I updated it with update 2 a few months ago and it has run fine. I have never seen this issue until now.
Any idea what it could be? Maybe a service that needs to be restarted?
The servers running on this are required 24/7 and I don't want to reboot it without knowing what the problem is.
If you are seeing the correct information using the command-line, then that rules out some server-side problems. I would first try to reinstall my client, just in case. I would also open an SR as this may be a bug. I would then restart the services I could restart safely. Most problems are fixed by resarting hostd, but the vpx client service may be causing problems, if it's running. Once you run those, check your vmkernel/messages logs as well as your vi client logs (these should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx)
service mgmt-vmware restart
service vmware-vpxa restart
I got around to rebooting it and when it came up I couldn't ping the esx server.
It lost all of the vswitches and console switch. I recreated the console switch and assigned a NIC, IP and then I could connect
Why would it do this?
The configuration showed up on the console before the reboot but not in the GUI. Very strange!!! It now shows in both
I originally asked about checking the console, because I've seen this issues, and I've been able to fix it only with a reboot. The esx.conf file goes a little crazy, or hostd does, I was never able to get an answer myself or through vmware. I also had one solution where I lost ESX functionality, and in that situation, I think hostd was corrupted. I updated ESX using the zip/tar file and everything was back to normal. Sorry I don't have a better answer than that.
Update 3 is available. That is actually what I used. I lost all networking on my host after my reboot, so I had to use a usb stick to get the tarball to the server. Then, ran the update, and reboot. Voila! All back in order, and no issues since.