VMware Cloud Community
kins
Contributor
Contributor

Switches not displayed under Networking

Hi,

When using the VI Client I cannot see any switches or configuration under Configuration<Networking

I tried service mgmt-vmware restart and service network restart but still no joy

I have also tried VI clients from different machines.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using an admin account and/or root directly to the ESX host? Are you using vi to vc?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the root account directly to the ESX host with the client.

We don't have Virtual Centre on this site

thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Can you verify your networking with 'esxcfg-vswitch -l' ? What does it show?

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

it displays

switch name num ports used ports etc

and has details under each heading

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Meaning that command line does show your networking configuration, switches, portgroups, etc ?

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

yes it shows all of it

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you updated ESX lately? Are you using an updated version of the client?

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I updated it with update 2 a few months ago and it has run fine. I have never seen this issue until now.

Any idea what it could be? Maybe a service that needs to be restarted?

The servers running on this are required 24/7 and I don't want to reboot it without knowing what the problem is.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you are seeing the correct information using the command-line, then that rules out some server-side problems. I would first try to reinstall my client, just in case. I would also open an SR as this may be a bug. I would then restart the services I could restart safely. Most problems are fixed by resarting hostd, but the vpx client service may be causing problems, if it's running. Once you run those, check your vmkernel/messages logs as well as your vi client logs (these should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx)

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I get un-recognized service when I run service vmware-vpxa restart

Whats up with that?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Oops, that's the vc agent, I forgot you're not connected to vc.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I got around to rebooting it and when it came up I couldn't ping the esx server.

It lost all of the vswitches and console switch. I recreated the console switch and assigned a NIC, IP and then I could connect

Why would it do this?

The configuration showed up on the console before the reboot but not in the GUI. Very strange!!! It now shows in both

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I originally asked about checking the console, because I've seen this issues, and I've been able to fix it only with a reboot. The esx.conf file goes a little crazy, or hostd does, I was never able to get an answer myself or through vmware. I also had one solution where I lost ESX functionality, and in that situation, I think hostd was corrupted. I updated ESX using the zip/tar file and everything was back to normal. Sorry I don't have a better answer than that.

-KjB

kins
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks

At least I know its not a unique problem.

Are there anymore major updates since Update 2?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Update 3 is available. That is actually what I used. I lost all networking on my host after my reboot, so I had to use a usb stick to get the tarball to the server. Then, ran the update, and reboot. Voila! All back in order, and no issues since.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to install 3.5 Update 3 from scratch and re-size the partitions.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos