VMware Cloud Community
AJ1100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Swap files on SAN??

Probably a really dumb question here... Smiley Happy I've just inherited a 6-host cluster with 8 LUNS attached. I'm doing some clean-up and notice one of the LUNs has a 'swap' folder. Under there are 4 folders with names of PHYSICAL servers we have on the network.. each containing:

var folder

downloads folder

unswap file (~1GB)

It doesn't allow me to move or copy any of them (even one where that we decommissioned).

Does anyone know why these are here? And if so, where can I check these swap file settings on the individual servers. I'm guessing it's a page file that someone created on the SAN, but I checked the typical windows page file settings on the servers and says they are on their C: drive.

Thanks!!

AJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you tried remove this archive via ssh with rm -rf ?

i don´t know if apply to you --> but see http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101928...

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It can be a file created by some virtual machine when it is connected. You

need to check if this is a file NAMEVM.vswp if it is, has no problem

deleting, because after that the VM is turned on again it is rebuilt.

You should try to check the configuration of hosts to see if there is a VM set to put the swap file you mentioned on this lun.

#

Click the Configuration tab for the ESX Server host.

#

Click Virtual Machine swapFile Location and click Edit.

#

Specify the datastore where you want the virtual machine swap files stored.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When you find out who owns this file, turn off the virtual machine so you can delete the file.

After this you'll have to reconfigure the site to create the swap file on this machine

maybe help to locate a owner of this vswap.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10051

To reconfigure vswap location

On a per-VM basis: Edit Settings -> Options -> Swapfile location. You can set it to store in the host's swapfile datastore.

To configure the host's swapfile datastore, go to Configuration -> Virtual Machine Swapfile Location.

0 Kudos
AJ1100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply. It's strange because the file name is just "unswap", with no extension. And I cannot move, delete, or copy (I get 'Expected put message. got error') And as I said, one for each of the 4 servers. And these servers are not and have never been virtual machines. These are physical servers.

The ESX host swap file settings are configured to store with the individual machine's folder.

I'm starting to think the physical servers have been configured to use this LUN and are completely unrelated to the VM environment. If that's the case, I'm curious how you can connect to this from a Windows server?

Thanks again. AJ

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you tried remove this archive via ssh with rm -rf ?

i don´t know if apply to you --> but see http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101928...

0 Kudos
AJ1100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the link. I connected to a different host and was able to delete.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Nice. Smiley Wink

Enjoy!

0 Kudos