VMware Cloud Community
veedub
Contributor
Contributor

Support requirements with new licence purchase

Hi

I have a small business currently using a trial version of VMWare ESX Server. I am looking at buying a licenced version and have been given a quote for both VMWare Infrastructure Foundation 2 Proc licence and Support for the software. The support as far as I can gather is for phone based technical support over the period of the agreement.

As I am only using ESX in a very small environment (1 HP DL380 Server) which never changes apart from maybe a new VM being built I am not certain whether shelling out an additional 70% more on top of the ESX licence for support is worth it for me.

Can anyone tell me if it is required to buy the support agreement with an VMWare Foundation licence? Can anyone also tell me if I don't need to purchase it and I decide not to if I can still download any patches for my installed version of ESX? If it just means I won't get phone support for ESX I am pretty sure I can deal with that.

Of course, if there is any other revelevant things I am missing in regards to this subject please let me know.

Thanks

SB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't talk for every nation, but in Australia SNS (subscription and support) is compulsory for License purchases.

Minimum 1 year!

regards

Bernie

http://sanmelody.com.au

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe it is compulsory in the US as well -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos