0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EMC utility.

Just becareful about changing IDs. You might want to test with another LUN first, especially if you are working with production LUNs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mike81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As far as I know - it's not possible. All you can do is that you can create VMFS file system only on some of the LUNs which are presented to your servers. If you want to assign i.e. LUN15 to your esx you will have to do it in the array management software.

Mike

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you add the LUN to the host, scroll to the far right side of the screen. You can then choose what lun ID you want it to be. You can only choose the ID when initially add the lun, not after.

Message was edited by:

bolsen

0 Kudos
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response - you mean in ESX or within the EMC utility?

Thanks,

Ward

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EMC utility.

Just becareful about changing IDs. You might want to test with another LUN first, especially if you are working with production LUNs.

0 Kudos
schnj65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't care if the LUN numbers match; can someone explain how I can determine which EMC LUN Number my VMFS volumes map to? For example - VMFS Volume "VMFS-A", LUN 0 maps to LUN 250 on the EMC Clariion

I can examine /proc/vmware/scsi/vmhba0/0:0 and see information about the what I believe to be the EMC LUN - their is a long ID when I cat 0:0 or any of the 8 LUN's presented to my ESX servers - I am checking with the SAN guys to see if this is meaningful to them

thanks

0 Kudos
GMellor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you manage to sort out your LUN identifying issue? Due to various reasons, I'm the EMC SAN guy and the VMware ESX guy at my place, so I can easily check things out on our system on both ESX & EMC sides at the same time if you're still looking for answers Smiley Happy

Gary.

0 Kudos
schnj65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gary

yes, I did speak to my SAN guys and they provided me with the LUN's Unique ID value using EMC Navisphere 6 (on the SAN side - LUN properties - General tab - Unique ID).

I was able to cross-reference this Unique ID number with the ID Attribute in /proc/vmware/scsi/vmhba0/0:0

here's an example from the cat of 0:0:

Id: 60 6 1 60 d6 15 11 0 86 90 fa 35 27 a0 db 11[/b]52 41 49 44 20 35

the bolded portion of the EMC LUN Unique ID matches the VMware proc ID attribute

Also - VMware support told me that I can load Navisphere into the Console OS of VMware 3.x or ESX 2.5 - that would have made life much easier had I been aware of that fact - oh well - it's nice to know how to do it hte hard way

thanks for checking back

0 Kudos
piacas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What I do is add the EMC LUN ID to datastore name. Example:

EMC LUN ID = 18

Datastore name: Vmstore1_EMC_Lun18

I do this so if there is issues I know exactly which EMC LUN to tell the SAN guys I'm having problems with.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We number our names as well, but unfortunately, they do not match the ID's(it was before I became responsible for the sans). I've thought about going back and changing them, but there are so many of them.

Another guy who works both sides of the street

William

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
GMellor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad you got it sorted - and thanks for showing how to track down the LUN's unique ID. I was only aware of going by the LUN id as shown in the ESX device name eg "vmhba1:4:8:1" where the third digit is the "Host ID" given to the LUN when it was allocated ot the Storage Group in the EMC Navisphere utility.

I do load the Navisphere agent into our Console OS, although I've not worked out how much use it is other than giving Navisphere the hostname of the ESX box automatically... I'm sure it must do something else Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
trentg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea where I can find this unique ID info in VI 3.5?

0 Kudos