VMware Cloud Community
anujtyagi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stuck at configuring Virtual center license server

Hi All,

I was trying to setup VI3 on my laptop and have done almost all the configurations shown below

I have Created following VM's on my Laptop on Vmware workstation 6.5

- 2 Esx 3.5 server

- 1 Open filer SAN VM's

- Win2k3 Virtual center VM's

Everything is fine till here the esx servers are starting in 5 mins and the SAN targets are visible. But I can't see the option of Vmotion on my Virtual center server(probably because i haven,t configured the licensed server).

I am trying to add the licesnse file from the VMware licsencse server folder but still of no help. I din,t get any mail from vmware with licenses as an attachment as well.

anyidea what can be done here ??

Thanks in advance

anuj

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

ok i think the licence server is already there.

the way to enable vmotion is

in each of your esx hosts

go to configuarion tab-> choose networking ->click on properties of the vSwitch to which your vmotion network (this has to be a vmkernal network) is connected to -> select the vmotion network in the new window and click on edit -> click on the box where it says enable vmotion.

do this for both the servers.

Ranga

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
anujtyagi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

just to add ... I have downloaded the 60 days evaluation version of VI3

0 Kudos
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

When you did the virtual center installation did you install the licencence server as well? if so did you choose the eval ?

Ranga

0 Kudos
anujtyagi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not exactly remember but in my start programs menu i can see the vmware license server installed.

and it is showing me two options

-vmware license server tools

- vmware license server user guide.

As of now i have selected vmware license server tools and installed the .lic file present in my vmware license server folder.

thanks

anuj

0 Kudos
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

ok i think the licence server is already there.

the way to enable vmotion is

in each of your esx hosts

go to configuarion tab-> choose networking ->click on properties of the vSwitch to which your vmotion network (this has to be a vmkernal network) is connected to -> select the vmotion network in the new window and click on edit -> click on the box where it says enable vmotion.

do this for both the servers.

Ranga

0 Kudos
anujtyagi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try this and let you know the results..

thanks..

0 Kudos
anujtyagi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I made the changes and now Vmotion is showing as "unlicensed use" against "not in use" previously. I guess for evaluation version it gets enabled to "unlicensed use" status.

Thanks..

anuj

0 Kudos
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes. that is right. glad it helped

0 Kudos