VMware Cloud Community
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Strange networking problem - guest can only see some machines on network

I have 4 ESX servers, one located at our Co-location facility linked to the main site using a LES circuit.

The 3 ESX servers at the main site have no problems, all guests can ping each other on Vlan1

The ESX server at the co-lo is configured with two network adapters teamed together at the switch on Vlan1. The (only) guest can ping some of the machines at the main site if I set one of the adapters to the top of the failover order for the vSwitch and if I set the other adapter at the top of the failover order for the Vswitch it can ping some of the other machines at the main site (including a few of the servers when I set the other adapter the top of the failover order).

Both physical adapters are configured the same at switch and ESX level and I have rebooted the host in case the config had gone up the wall but to no avail!

Has anyone experienced anything similar and know what the problem might be?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

A bit of digging around showed that the problem was with my switch. I took apart the trunk and assigned each port to its own Vlan and everything worked fine. Doesn't explain why when joined together one adapter could ping half the network and the other adapter the other half so I will have to come back to it.

0 Kudos