VMware Cloud Community
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor

Storage

Hello,

I have created a new VMware ESX 3.0.1 Build 32039 Host Server. I have created the license server and Virutal Center. I added the host to Virtual Center, but when I try to add the storage it doesn't see anything. The only thing that I have under Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS) is storage1 which are the local disk. I looked at the host and it sees the HBA and has the WWN, but there is nothing under the FC Port category. I have created the Volume on the SAN and it is LUN 6. I created a zone on the switch. It has both the SAN WWNs and the server WWN and I added the WWN to the SAN Zone and I still can't get anything to come up under Add Storage.

Is there a way to register the HBA or configure the HBA? Would you give me the command for that or do you have any ideas of what could be the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

You don't need to 'Add Storage' until the LUN becomes visible - and thats after a recan on the HBA. If LUN is correctly zoned up and masked into the WWN it should just pop up on a rescan. Have another look at the zoning as a first step - and maybe check the switch to check the HBA has logged in.

0 Kudos
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ctfoster,

Thanks for the information. I believe the problem is that we have 2 GB Fabric/SAN Switches and the cards that were purchased are 4 GB. Even though it is set to 2 GB in the QLogic Utility, ESX is still seeing it as 4 GB. It says that it has a data rate of 4 GB.

Do you know the command to change this from 4 to 2 GB? Would I have to change the permissions of the file before I can make this change?

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

I'm unaware of any settings on the ESX side that set the speed of the HBA and even so I'm unconvinced this would prevent the presentation of the LUN altogether. I've noticed you are running with a old version of ESX. Have you have this combination of HBA and ESX version on any other device.

0 Kudos
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have this running on my Production VM Servers. It has a line for the Data rate: 1-2 Gb/sec auto-negotiate.

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your cards should auto negotiate with the switch.

Are they QLogic cards? If so, when the ESX server boots, press CTRL+Q to enter the QLogic BIOS utility and you can change card settings there.

0 Kudos
Eldron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just wanted to add that I use 4GB HBAs on a 2GB system ( switch and storage ) with no issues. My adapters are Emulex, however.

0 Kudos
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor

Thank everyone for all of there help.

I am having a

problem with the HBA card. It will not recognize my SAN at Boot. It

doesn't find any Fibre devices. This is only for the VMware servers. I

am using a Dell 1950, I will have to give them a call and see what

could be the problem.

0 Kudos