VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage vMotion - Can I move another VM while one is already in progress?

Can I move another VM while one is already in progress?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should be able to do 4 concurrent storage VMotions that share a source and/or destination LUN.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Can I move another VM while one is already in progress?

I don't know what the 'theorhetical' limit is, but I have only been able to do 2 at a time. Even different LUN's, Different ESX, doesn't matter, the limit on VC in my experience has always been 2.

esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. I am trying to use the svmotion plugin but it won't allow me to move another VM. Could be a plugin issue I guess.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Ok. I am trying to use the svmotion plugin but it won't allow me to move another VM. Could be a plugin issue I guess.

The plug-in is just a graphical connection to the official command line, it runs the commands on the server. I know it's not the best option, but just to verify it's not a VC issue, have you tried the command line method? It's not pretty I know, and it's a hassle because it is case sensitive, but if you keep that one vmotion running, and try the NEXT attempt via command line that will provide some clues if it's the plugin or not. I doubt it is the plug-in, there may be a problem with vmotion / vkernel on the other VM you are trying. Give the command line method a try just to see if you get any further.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll try that.

0 Kudos