VMware Cloud Community
REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage Vmotion - how to do 2 disks on different luns?

I have a VM using 2 different san luns, say lun02, and lun03. I want to move them to lun05. How do I use storage vmotion and do this without it breaking? Do I just do one disk at a time the same as I usually use storage vmotion? I assume there's a vmx file on each lun02/03 and I move separately?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is only vmx that describes the vm. Yes, you may have to run your svmotion twice. Make sure you specify the disks option to the pl script and point to the new datastore.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is only vmx that describes the vm. Yes, you may have to run your svmotion twice. Make sure you specify the disks option to the pl script and point to the new datastore.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you configure Virtual Center to see the new LUN, you can migrate the VMs and all their config files.

During the process you are prompted if you want to move the configuration files as well. As long as you can see the new LUN, then you can select it and everything will move there.

You can do this even if you don't want to move the files to another host. Select the target/destination host as the same current host and it will just move the files to another LUN.

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL