VMware Cloud Community
colin_hill
Contributor
Contributor

Storage VMotion - moving more than it should.......

Anybody else having this issue?

When we try moving a machine that has the following config:

LUN1 - VMX and Disk1

LUN2 - Disk2

LUN3 - Disk3

LUN4 - Disk4

LUN5 -

We want to move disk4 to LUN5. So we have to move disk1 as well as disk4 (otherwise the task fails) - using storage vmotion plug-in GUI (Andrew Kutz) we move disk1 and 4.

When the job has completed we noticed that ALL disks have been moved to LUN5.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it is happening enough to be annoying (epecially after waiting an hour for the job to complete, to find out it moved more than you wanted it to.....)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
agaynor
Contributor
Contributor

Colin

I have never used that plugin Gui just the CLI. I have been able to do what you are commenting on using the --disks argument.

You would have to do this command for every disk and seperate the disks with a , if you don't wan to move a disk make the and the New_datastore the same. the below example would move disk 2 to a new datastore and leave disk 1 in the current datastore.

Ex. --disks='[Current_Datastore] vmfolder/Vm_1.vmdk: Current_Datastore, vmfolder/Vm_2.vmdk: New Datastore'

Hope this helps!

rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Install the VMware Infrastructure Remote CLI in your workstation, it's free and available at -

If you don't know the command line options you can start by use the interactive mode, type:

svmotion.pl --interactive

rgds

Lee_Sargeant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Colin,

Storage VMotion only gives the option to leave disks behind, not move disks on their own. So you would have to move disk 1, 4 and vmx to the new location and then Storage VMotion the VMX and disk 1 back to the original location. To do this you have to use the cli mentioned earlier though. If you choose to do this there is a prebuilt appliance you can download from VMware.

Hope this helps

Lee

0 Kudos
colin_hill
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers guys.

I'm not sure if it is the feature of the GUI, but we do the move as you have specified Lee, and on occassions drags the other disks with it........

But, I did manage to move all the disks to different LUNs and it worked. I'm not confident that this works everytime as my colleague says sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My immediate problem is fixed though Smiley Happy

I will give the Remote CLI method a go and see if that works 100% of the time Smiley Happy

Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it. I will leave the entry open just in case someone knows why the other disks ocassionally get dragged along!!

0 Kudos