VMware Cloud Community
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

Starwind iScsi software target - bis

Hi,

Two weeks ago, I've posted a message about the Starwind iScsi software target.

And, thanks to Nautilus, I could test this software.

After deeper tests, I realize now that this software is not perfectly working fine with the latest release of ESX (3.0.2). No issues with 3.0.1.

And the Starwind technical support says that VMware has broken the iscsi support !!!

What to think about that ? Is it right that, actually, iScsi and 3.0.2 are not good friends ?!

Alain

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Alain, what sort of problem are you having? I'm running 3.0.2 and Starwind 3.5 b20070809 at home without any problems so far.

ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

On the 17th september, I've exchanged many e-mails with the Starwind technical support to try to understand why I was not able to launch any vm's.

The response of the boss is simple :

"Alain,

It's not StarWind being incompatible with the latest ESX, it's ESX iSCSI support being totally broken. Don't you think

these are quite different things to say? ?

I'm sorry for you being busy testing broken stuff. The only thing we can offer you - free NFR StarWind Professional

license so you could use it when VMware will fix their stuff.

Thank you and sorry

Regards,

Anton A. Kolomyeysev

CEO, Rocket Division Software"

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

The 3.0.2 is up-to-date.

I'm also using the latest Starwind.exe I can download.

All is ok to install and configure the software, but when I'm creating a vm, ok, but, after, when I'm starting this vm to install - for example - a WinXP, WinXP tells me that he does not find any hdd.

For the Starwind technical support, it's "normal" and the only solution is to downgrade to 3.0.1 !!!

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

I'm reading 3.5 b 20070809.

Does it mean that it was a beta version ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Which edition and version are you using and what errors are you getting?

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

I've just installed a fresh Win2k3 with a fresh download of the latest Starwind release.

It's also the build 20070809 like you.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am confused. So the ESX Host can see the iscsi target, you can create the VM on the target, you just can't install Windows onto the VM.

Once the Host sees the iscsi volume and writes vmfs to it, if it were an iscsi problems, you wouldn't be able to create the VM on it.

XP not finding a disk has absolutely nothing to do with the vmfs volume, but more to do with XP not having builtin drivers for XP. You should download the correct vmware scsi driver from vmware or even from lsilogic. Once you have the driver you can make a floppy image with winimage, attach it to the vm and press F6 at startup.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

Good idea, Dave and Rumple.

I know the F6 procedure for traditional raid controllers.

But, with VMware, I've never used it because it's not usefull until there ! And I didn't think about it because the Starwind technical support was sure it's an ESX specific 3.0.2 issue...

I'll test that asap and I'll tell you the result.

Thank you,

Alain

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

Persistent disk or not, even with the flp file and the F6 procedure, it's always the same result ("WinXP didn't find any hard drive...").

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Which FLP are you using and which SCSI controller in the VM?

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the latest flp scsi driver (release 1.2.0.4) and the virtual disk controller is a LSI Logic.

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

With BusLogic, it's ok, the disk is detected.

But it's not yet resolved.

Now, WinXP tells me that he's unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged...

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I would delete the disk from the VM (and it'll remove the SCSI controller as well) and then create a new disk.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

did you initialize/label the disk?

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

Now, I'm using a specific LSI driver and the WinXP is installing !!!

Within a few time, I'll be able to tell you if it's ok or not.

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet resolved.

Now, at the first boot of WinXP, I'm reading a bluescreen with "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just for kicks have you tried using any other operating system but XP. Is XP the only guest giving you a headache?

I would try this drivers for the lsilogic as well

http://www.lsilogic.com/files/support/ssp/fusionmpt/WinXP/symmpi_xp_1.20.18.zip

0 Kudos
ACrispiels
Contributor
Contributor

For the moment, I'm only testing WinXP.

And the latests tests were done with the driver you've mentioned...

0 Kudos