VMware Cloud Community
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Standalone Host - Patch update options

ESX3.5 U4 (153875)

vC2.5 U5 (174768)

I have a very remote standalone host at a small site using onboard/internal SCSI storage. No other host, no shared storage, no cluster, etc. I have a SQL2005 VM for the db's, vC is also a guest and 4 other app servers. I realize this only achieves my having virtual servers, mobility, snaps, etc and eliminates HA, DRM, VMotion, online guests for Maintenance Mode, etc....obviously not ideal, but cheap. My boss wants to deploy this scenario everywhere, however.

I cant use VUM as entering Maint Mode means, in this scenario, shutting down vC...no vC, no VUM, no db's.

I tried using the vSphere Update Utility and downloading December's patches & (ESX3.5) U5 but the util looks for an ISO and the individual patches arent this file type (though as I write this, I may try to consolidate all the patches into an ISO...roll my own).

This server is remote, no local IT. What are my update options? I believe I can use tar files and esxupdate? or something but havent done or know how to do this. Is there any easier, more automated, less CLI way?

I appreciate all suggestions and methods, with steps please...I am in unchartered waters here. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

The update utility will grab the patches from vmware.

My philosophy is if it works, don't patch.

When you install the virtual infrastructure client it asks if you want to install the update utility, install it.

0 Kudos
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Utility works with vSphere/ESX4.x and not with ESX3.x...it isnt compatible otherwise I would use the util.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

use the 3.5 version.

It works, I use it.

0 Kudos
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You use VMware Infrastructure Update utility available when installing the vC3.5 client, correct? I had overlooked that checkbox and havent installed vC fresh for quite some time.

Have you tried using the VIU over the WAN?

So for December's updates, download all zipped files and if I understand correctly, order is irrelevant post 3.02...so just start with 1-23...

I havent had time to play, but is it one at a time or multiple zipped patches at a time?

0 Kudos
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I am trying VIU bundled with VIC2.5 installed on a surrogate server at the remote site and then check/select my host within the utility. I have downloaded all December patches which includes ESX3.5 Update 5. I add the zip file, ESX350-200911201-UG.zip which is U5, and then it errors "Invlaid Update Bundle"

Any thoughts / ideas?

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

if you are looking to upgrade to ESX35U5; download Upgrade package from ESX Server 3.5 to ESX Server 3.5 Update 5 from esx35u5 download page and use esxupdate command to upgrade it.

for patching download the patch and dependant patch, copy in to host and use esxupdate to patching the server.

VIU is not supported to patch ESX 35; it is supported for ESxi35 (Embedded) patching.

--Nithin
0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

Thank's, I have never used esx only esxi, so I did not know it only worked on esxi.

0 Kudos