VMware Cloud Community
microproc
Contributor
Contributor

Some queries about vmware server & Esx

I have couple of questions on vmware server & ESX:

- I have setup vmware server on 8 GB memrory system. I have vista 32 bit. when i am installing VM of windows 2000/2003 servers, I can utilize maximum 4 GB memory but remaining 8 GB is unused. Can any body tell me why is happening that. Do ihave to install first 64 bit OS (Vista or server etc) then only i can utilize 8 GB memory. ?

- I have converted some machines into vmdk/vmx format which runs with vmplayer & server 2.0. But when sam i tried to run with ESX 3.5i it didnt show the options. Its only showing for OVF format. Does esx does not support other formats of VM ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

- I have setup vmware server on 8 GB memrory system. I have vista 32 bit. when i am installing VM of windows 2000/2003 servers, I can utilize maximum 4 GB memory but remaining 8 GB is unused. Can any body tell me why is happening that. Do ihave to install first 64 bit OS (Vista or server etc) then only i can utilize 8 GB memory. ?

You need VIsta 64 Bit to see over 4GB of memory.

- I have converted some machines into vmdk/vmx format which runs with vmplayer & server 2.0. But when sam i tried to run with ESX 3.5i it didnt show the options. Its only showing for OVF format. Does esx does not support other formats of VM ?

Use VMware Converter to import the VMs into ESX 3.5i from other VMware products.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
microproc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the infor. Can i use the vmware converter to converted VM's which are in vmdk/vmx format. or should i have to the process for converting again from the physcial machine ?

Another question is i i have converted 4 processor system (dell 8450) which after long struggle i converted it by choosing IDE option instead of SCSI Option in the converter. Now when i m running that VM with one processor its bit slow. I have changed many options of RAM/HD, in the begining but the results are same. The VM is having windows 2000 adv server. Any tips converting 4 CPU Processors to single or 2 Processor? Am i not doing something correct here.

0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMX machines should import into ESX without the need to convert. Just copy the directory to your ESX storage, go to the vmx file in VIC and "right click | import"

A 4 cpu server, virtualized to a 1 cpu VM has every potential to be "a bit slow" in comparison. When you say slow, is it within what you would expect if you had taken 3 of teh cpus out of the physical box?

What software is it running?

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Always use COnverter when moving from VMware Server to ESX, this way you do not have problems with anything. VMware Converter can be used to convert/move VMs V2V as well as do P2V. Depending on how things are setup you will need to use converter. A direct copy may work but that is no longer guaranteed when going from Server to ESX or visa versa.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos