VMware Cloud Community
BTJitsamji
Contributor
Contributor

Software ISCSI and default gateways

hi,

i'm trying to setup the default gateways on my ESX servers and need some advice if the below is right.

The service console (SVC #1) requires a default gateway to manage the servers.

The iscsi network also requires a default gateway if we need to route to a iscsi target.

I have created a second SVC #2 on the 2nd vswitch as documented by vmware with an ip on the same subnet as the ipstorage.

The UI lets me add the gateway for vswif0 for the first SVC #1.

I can add a second gateway for vmkernal (ipstorage)

my setup:

vswitch 0:[/b]

SVC #1 (vswif0) 10.216.0.1

vmotion: 172.168.180.1

service console Default Gateway: 10.216.0.200

(vmotion is non routed, but is sharing the SVC#1 physical nics)

vswitch 1:[/b]

SVC #2 (vswif1) 132.131.0.1

iscsi 132.131.0.100

vmkernal Default Gateway: 132.131.0.200

I need to understand if the above will work, the above has been deployed using hubs. I need to deploy in a production site using routers.

Cheers

Jit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes that should work just fine - a gateway is only needed to route traffic cross subnet anyway, so your private IP SC portgroup should be able to talk to your private IP iSCSI box without one as they're in the same subnet.

Although I'm pretty sure it's not necessary if you want to add a gateway address for vswif1 then at the service console run something like the following (as root).

route add 132.131.0.1 gw 132.131.0.200[/code]

BTJitsamji
Contributor
Contributor

The problem I have is the ISCSI Target could be on another subnet and I will need to route to the target subnet.

I understand I don't need a gateway if they are on the same subnet.

So I was trying to understand if the vmkernal gateway will still allow me to route to my target becuase the SVC #2 also plays a part in the process.

The docs I have read:

"The software iSCSI initiator in the VMkernel has a dependency upon the service console, therefore both the service console and VMkernel must have an IP route to the iSCSI target."

So if SVC #1 (vswif0) has a gateway and vmkernal (iscsi) has a gateway, will SVC #2 (vswif1) which is on the same subnet and vswitch as the iscis, will it use the vmkernal gateway ?

Or will it try to willl vswif 0 's gateway even though this is on a different subnet and then create errors.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The VMkernel network is used for the data traffic, the SC network is only required for discovery of targets, it'll try on both SC networks I believe.

Either way if you add the second gateway to your SC (vswif1) using the above command and it should definitely discover your targets cross-subnet.

BTJitsamji
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for your input, I will feedback to the build teams to test.

0 Kudos