VMware Cloud Community
RobHullUniversi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshoting problem??

I currently have Virtual machines set up so they have a secondary virtual disk attached to them, this disk is on a seperate NFS datastore to the primary virtual disks.

When I take a snapshot of the virtual machine it creates a new virtual disk on the primary nfs datastore and makes that the secondary virtual disk. The original vmdk file remains on the secondary datastore. Is this normal? I don't really want this to happen.

Thanks

Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

by default, then snapshot will be created in same folder where orginal flat file reside. So don't need to worry about that,

Snapshot will create one new delta file for each flat vmdk file under same folder where is residing and doesn't matter which datastore keeps. But when you remove the snapshot, it commit into same folder again.

AM,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you please explain this problem?? its quite confusing... Smiley Sad

-@m!t

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

Please post the directory listing of both stores while the Snapshot exists.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you create a snaphot, it automatically create the new delta disk into same VM folder. you can manually define the snapshot datastore by pointing out datastore name in the vmx file. It will create the disk only in that datastore which is defined by vmx. Normally, it won't migrate the orginal vmdk file from one datastore to another, it just create a new delta file there.

AM,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
RobHullUniversi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apologies for not going into detail,

Basically I have two esx hosts run esx ver 3.5, I have a vcentre server and I have 14 running vm's. I have a total of 4 NFS datastores which reside on a netapp filer.

On Datastore 1 we have all the primary vmdk files (C; drives basically)

On Datastore 2 we have all the Seconday vmdk (D: Drive, Windows Page File)

No when taking a vmware snapshot (using vcenter server) a new vmdk is created on the primary datastore and the seondary drive (D; drive and swap files) are pointed at it.

I hope that is a better explanation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

by default, then snapshot will be created in same folder where orginal flat file reside. So don't need to worry about that,

Snapshot will create one new delta file for each flat vmdk file under same folder where is residing and doesn't matter which datastore keeps. But when you remove the snapshot, it commit into same folder again.

AM,

0 Kudos
RobHullUniversi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok,

So after deleting the snapshot It has reverted back to its original state, Thnaks for the help. I will have to tell users to keep ontop of snapshot deletions.

Rob

0 Kudos