VMware Cloud Community
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Snapshot nightmare

Hi all,

I'm facing some estrange behaviors related to snapshots on a customer installation. Basically taking a snapshot of a powered on virtual machine takes about 9 minutes to complete but taking a snapshot of the same virtual machine but powered of takes only 20 seconds. Obviously during this 9 minutes or so the service is interrupted for the users and this particular virtual machine has fresh windows 2003 installation.

The begining... this began yesterday when we took a snapshot of a virtual machine that has a RDM (virtual compatibility mode) of 1.7 TB and it took about 30 minutes to complete... 30 minutes without the file server. In the past we took several snapshots of this file server without any kind of problems or service interruption.

In my thoughts I have related the issue to the SAN (EMC Symmetrix) so I asked the customer to take the snapshot of the windows 2003 with a fresh install but running on local this of one of the ESX Servers (3.5 Update 4) with the same results.

This installation has been running smoothly for the past two month and no significant changes has been made on it.

Have any of you seen something like this in the past?

Thanks in advance.

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

Grupo de Virtualizacion en español de Linkedin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

>Basically taking a snapshot of a powered on virtual machine takes about 9 minutes to complete

Do you include memory to snapshot? If you choose not to backup memory, just quiesce file system - snapshot will be taken fast, without service interruption and without broken files.

---

MCP, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

almost sounds like a sync driver issue?

are the tools up to date on the system?

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos