VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Issues

So one of my VMs had a snapshot in its VM folder in the datastore, however the snapshot did not appear in snapshot manager. So I deleted the snapshot file and its secondary .vmdks from the VM folder. However now I have 2 delta.vmdks leftover from the snapshot that give me error messages when I try to felete it saying it can not be deleted.

Also, when I try to take a new shapshot of the VM it says invalid snapshot configuration.

Im guessing I screwed something up somewhere.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

you were rt abt the last part, u did screw things a bit there. i am pretty sure that you wont be able to take snapshots on the VM. If you want to use the VM with snapshot facility, then I would suggest to

1. Unregister the vm from the ESX

2. Create a new vm and direct the vm to use the vmdk <direct to the source vmdk>

3. Power on the vm with snapshot facility. However, u will lose the snapshots created on the vm earlier.

Thx,

Selva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

you were rt abt the last part, u did screw things a bit there. i am pretty sure that you wont be able to take snapshots on the VM. If you want to use the VM with snapshot facility, then I would suggest to

1. Unregister the vm from the ESX

2. Create a new vm and direct the vm to use the vmdk <direct to the source vmdk>

3. Power on the vm with snapshot facility. However, u will lose the snapshots created on the vm earlier.

Thx,

Selva

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can try this,for deleting delta disk ,and recover the vm :

1)Delete the vmdk ,and create a new vmdk (of same old size)

2)Map the old flat-vmdk to new vmdk.

This link would be helpful for this :

@m!t

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It wasnt until after deleting the files that I realized I had made a mistake. All of my VMware knowledge has been gained through trial and error.

Thanks for the help, following those steps took care of it and now everything is working fine. Thanks!

0 Kudos