VMware Cloud Community
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smart Array E500 with msa 60 sata disks

Hi to all out there ,

we are currently in a vmware project which is using completeley Hp products.What we have is

1-Hp dl 380 with local p500 controller with 3 sas disks configured Raid5

2-Hp msa 60 with 6*750 sata disk drives

3-The msa 60 is connected to the Dl 380 with Hp smart array e500 card.

We can successfully install wmare 3.5 to the server locally,Then when we try to format the MSA 60 storage (we previously created the logical drive with raid5) it sees no target from the vi client console.

İ can see the storage adapter in VI client ,it says the model ( smart array e 500 ) ,but targets : 0

Then i try to see the documentation about the smart array e500 card ,it is currently supported by wmware according to the latest compability list.

Any help will be great ,thanks a lot

0 Kudos
12 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you presented the volumes to the ESX server via the HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU)? Within the ACU there is the Selective Storage Presentation (SSP) where you present the luns to the hosts.

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

İ forget to mention but there is no SSP (selective storage presenntatiton) on acu since there is only one server and it is DL 380

Anyway thanks for the fast reply

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you rescan the storage adapter do you then see any targets?

In regards to the SSP - How are the luns created on a MSA60? I was just having a quick look on the HP site as I haven't used one.... looks like you can only connect one host and it only supports three types of SCSI controllers? Every MSA I've used up until now uses the ACU and SSP.

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi again ,

You are right when i boot up with smart start ,i can use ACU(array configuration utility) but there is no configuration for SSP in that utility.Since the default configuration of those hardware is as far as i know that every host has full rights to the configured LUNS ..

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I didn't see in the SAN guide that the MSA60 was supported either....

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

This is not a SAN connection. The MSA60 is a disk enclosure with a SAS interface.

Did you create a logical disk and is it larger than 2 TeraBytes ? If yes, 2TB is the maximum size.

bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes but ,the msa60 that we are using is Direct Attached storage ,not a SAN situation

hence says it is supported by vmware

0 Kudos
fccc
Contributor
Contributor

We experienced a simular problem.

We have 2 setups, each with:

DL 380G5 with 2 SAS disks (Raid 0/1), a MSA 60 with 4750 SATA drives (RAID5) and 8300 SAS drives (RAID 5)

With logical drives on each array configured to their maximum size, ESX would see the logical drive on the SAS array, but not the one SATA array.

We created 2 logical drives (using the ACU) on the SATA Array, one being 2TB and the other the remaining 146GB. ESX now sees both these drives.

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your efforts

We currently forund the answer ;

Vmware does not support SATA and IDE drives configured with RAID 1 or RAID5

Page 1

Anyway thanks for all ,

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If the storage controller is supported, then the drive type is pretty much inconsequential. ESX will just see the storage LUN and not the drive types that make it up. If you have 6 * 750 in a RAID 5, then you've over the 2 TB LUN limit and that is the initial problem you must over come. Can you create 2 RAID5 LUNs on those drives (i.e. one 2TB RAID 5 LUN using all 6 drives and then 2nd of 1.7 TB again using all 6 drives)?

0 Kudos
khushwant
Contributor
Contributor

we had same issue. Only thing you need to do is that while creating  logical drive using ACU make sure boot option is set to 4GB NOT 8GB.

0 Kudos
MaxRayRus
Contributor
Contributor

have a similar problem, after install the ESXi 5 (HP Custom Image for ESXi 5.0.0 Update 2 Install CD), the system detects the controller and even sees LUNs (I creaded with ACU two luns: first - 2Tb, second - 7Tb ). But can't add datastore on E500 controller through dialogue "Add Storage", as the list of available device is empty.

pic2.JPG

On E200i controller all be ok. My DL360 G5 have e200i with SAS hdd + e500 with MSA60 with SATA hddpic1.JPG

The last tip about the boot options 4Gb, when creating LUNs in ACU, is not so clear, because such option is not offered, when I did LUNs. (used HP SmartStart CD version 8.40 for DL servers).

How to correct this situation?

thx a lot

0 Kudos