VMware Cloud Community
Mataniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Slowness and a general error opening the Events tab

Hello,

I am experiencing general slowness while logging on with the VI client to an ESX server, also when i try to look at the events tab i get the error "a general system error has occured: " without any information. (Spelling error included)

This started after the upgrade to 3.02

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try restarting the mgmt-vmware and vmware-vpxa tasks on the service console.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If this is direct to ESX I would suggest checking the ESX log files for more clues on why this is happening. Also is this just one VI Client, have you tried it from others and are you using the latest VI Client downloaded from the server.

How do I troubleshoot ESX server issues?

• You can check several log files on the ESX server based on the problem you are experiencing, these include:

o Vmkernel - /var/log/vmkernel – records activities related to the virtual machines and ESX server

o Vmkernel Warnings - /var/log/vmkwarning – records activities with the virtual machines

o Vmkernel Summary - /var/log/vmksummary - Used to determine uptime and availability statistics for ESX Server; human-readable summary found in /var/log/vmksummary.txt

o ESX Server host agent log - /var/log/vmware/hostd.log - Contains information on the agent that manages and configures the ESX Server host and its virtual machines (Search the file date/time stamps to find the log file it is currently outputting to.)

o Service Console - /var/log/messages - Contain all general log messages used to troubleshoot virtual machines or ESX Server

o Web Access - /var/log/vmware/webAccess - Records information on Web-based access to ESX Server

o Authentication log - /var/log/secure - Contains records of connections that require authentication, such as VMware daemons and actions initiated by the xinetd daemon.

o VirtualCenter agent - /var/log/vmware/vpx - Contains information on the agent that communicates with VirtualCenter

o Virtual Machines - The same directory as the affected virtual machine’s configuration files; named vmware.log - Contain information when a virtual machine crashes or ends abnormally

Mataniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not sure exactly what to check, the error pops up for events on all VMs but not for the entire server, the slowness occurs generally on my PC but i was unable to troubleshoot as to why, I am more concerened about the events

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you try it with the web access ui instead og the VI Client do you get the same error?

0 Kudos
Mataniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it just stays forever on loading with the web access

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try restarting the mgmt-vmware and vmware-vpxa tasks on the service console.

0 Kudos
Mataniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

restarting the mgmt-vmware service did the trick

thanks!

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution