VMware Cloud Community
matt4130
Contributor
Contributor

Slow networks in ESX3.5

Afternoon All,

We like to get the most out of our kit and we are currently running about 85% CPU Utilisation and 80% Memory utilisation across 3 clusters in our environment. 2 clusters contain 4ESX hosts and 1 contains 8. I have rearranged our resource pools to keep everyone happy for the time being, but i am still getting terrible network performance between the machines. Whether they are on different hosts, the same cluster, different cluster, different hosts!

I think it's simply contention on the hosts, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Matt

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Does the networking performance get better as CPU utilization drops? I think what is happening is that your CPU utilization is so hight that it is impacting the vmkernel's ability to provide a virtualized network

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
matt4130
Contributor
Contributor

Ha ha! This is the problem. I don't know what happens when the CPU utilisation drops, it never does!

I think you're right about the kernel. If the CPU's are being hammered then you're going to see problems.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Most people forget that the vmkernel needs some cycles as well -

0 Kudos