VMware Cloud Community
andremostert
Contributor
Contributor

Slow BE 12.5 backup and file copy performance

Hi guys

I am sitting with a problem that one of our servers are performing poorley. I have looked at the network (switch settings) and on the hardware level. I cannot see anything pointing to the bottleneck. What I did find is if I map a drive to our backup server and I copy a 4GB file to the file server (name - fps0) the copy performance is very slow (6-9 min) if I copy the same file to another vm server on another vm host it copies the file in secs. I have also moved most of the vm's from this host and I only have the exchange server left on the same vm host server.

The problem server is FPS0. Its a file server and a flex profile (Citrix) server. I backup with backup exec 12.5 on a stand alone server that is connected on the same network switch. All the network ports have been checked and not error there.

My backup job runs for 20+ hours for only 433GB. I have also removed allot of small files from the backup job but still I do not get the throughput.

So I think there are possible problems, network, vCPU count (server has 2 vCPUs) or disk I/O. But I dont seem to be able to pin point it.

Here are some esxtop screenshots of the cpu, disk and network.

We are running ESX 3.5.0 build-158874

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Andre

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andremostert
Contributor
Contributor

Update

I found a document telling my to drop my 2 vCPU to 1. As the slow response can be related to the vCPU scheduling.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Andre

0 Kudos
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've several questions for you:

a. What Windows version and Exchange version you're backing up?

b. Are you backing up to tape drive (model) or disk (model)?

c. Were you ever able to back it up in a decent a mount of time before?

d. Do you use Antigen for your Exchange? version? If so, try stopping the Antigen services and unhook its service from Exchange before running the backup job

0 Kudos
andremostert
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've several questions for you:

a. What Windows version and Exchange version you're backing up?

- Its only a file server with user files on and flex CITRIX flex profile files

b. Are you backing up to tape drive (model) or disk (model)?

- Backing up to tape (HP 1/8 G2 autoloader LTO-2)

c. Were you ever able to back it up in a decent a mount of time before?

- Picked up the problem about a month ago. We have never been able to backup faster than 400MB/min and it backs up over 22 hours. I am trying to speed up the whole process.

d. Do you use Antigen for your Exchange? version? If so, try stopping

the Antigen services and unhook its service from Exchange before running

the backup job

No- we dont use antigen as this is not an exchange server.

Its a highley used file server with Citrix profiles.

Thank you for the response

Andre

0 Kudos
andremostert
Contributor
Contributor

I found that the servers lun/datastore was being over used. On the Windows side the drive was almost full, also on the datastore side we where running low on space. We also had this server as the main Citrix server and file, print and datastorage server.

We will be clearing off space in the upcoming upgrade to split some roles off the server. Also clearing off space from the disk drives.

Thank you for all the feedback, I have a plan going forward

Andre

0 Kudos