VMware Cloud Community
greg1995
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simple fast question on NICS in ESX 3.5 host

Hi,

My situation is this:

I have a single ESX Server host version 3.5 with a dual port Intel NIC installed and configured. I have a lab network that I am connecting one nic port and the other nic port I am plugging into my main network. I would like to use the port I am using for the main network just for the management console, so it pulls a DHCP ip from the main network and I can manage the ESX server from my Desk which is also on the main network. I then have all the VMs running on the other nic port which is connected to the lab network which also recieves a different IP drom the lab network DHCP server. Of course I have two virtual scitches setup in ESX each pointing to the given Nic ports needed and two seperate network names setup, one for the lab network and one for the main network...

I assume these are isolated from eachother so the lab network does not see the main network etc. We had an issue that the lab network DHCP/DNS server was picking up what looks like a lot of devices fromt the main network when it should be isolated. I heard someone may have connected a different system to both the main and lab network by accident, but fingers are bring ponted at the ESX host now since it had a nic card plugged into both the lab and main networks.

My questions is, shouldnt these two not see eachother? If they can, what should I do to make sure they are isolated from eachother via ESX? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Those vSwitches are layer 2, so they won't be doing any routing between the networks.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Hi,

The two vSwitches have no access to each other, they are completely isolated. Your problem is not there.

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos