VMware Cloud Community
ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting up test network on ESX

I would like to setup a new vswitch vm port group called "Test Network" which does not have any physical adapters which will allow me to duplicate my current vm environment by putting vm copies on the "test network" and then running upgrade scenarios.

Is this possible?

I am using ESX3.5u3

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure the Windows firewall is turned off -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can - when creating the new switch just make sure there are no physical nics selected -

0 Kudos
ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried that and the two vm cannot see each other. Is their something special need with the tcp/ip settings?

visat1 is ip:10.1.1.101 mask:255.255.255.0

visat2 is ip:10.1.1.102 mask 255.255.255.0

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are both VMs connected to the same virtual switch? They will need to be on the same switch or else they can not communicate to each other - this type of switch is called an internal only switch and will create a netowrk inside your ESX host

0 Kudos
ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Both vm guests are on the same esx host. Both vm LANs adapters are connected to "Test Network". The test network is on vswitch3.

EDIT: Is there a setting for the vswitch i am overlooking?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you have configured should work - with out any changes to the vswitch - can you post a screen shot of the vswitch configuration from the vi client?

0 Kudos
ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have attached a screen shot

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is the guests Operating System.

Assuming it is Windows, can you open command prompt and ping guest own IP address?

Successful pings will show that TCP/IP stack initialized properly.

Let us know,

Alex

ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

They can ping their own ip addresses

EDIT: Guest vm are running vista business with the vmtools installed

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure the Windows firewall is turned off -

0 Kudos
ocadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What an idiot. Didn't think to check the stupid firewall!

Can guest vm using an internal switch only see other guest vms on the same host?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I hate the windows firewall as well - it is even more restrictive than that VM n an internal-only switch can only see the VMs connected to that switch

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

your guests should be able to see, other guests on other hosts, as long as internal switch is configured the same on all ESX hosts.

Alex

0 Kudos