VMware Cloud Community
natedev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting up ESX 3.0.1 on 2 SAS drives using software RAID 1 mirroring

I have two Dell PowerEdge 1950's that each have 2 x 36 GB 15K SAS drives. Their SAS 5 HBA's are plain vanilla and don't support RAID. When I install ESX 3.0.1, is it possible to set things up so that my drives are mirrored (software RAID) in case one fails? The VM's will all be on the SAN. This is just for ESX and the service console. I prefer to use these spare drives instead of booting from the SAN if I can.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is no mention on ESX documentation about a possibility to install a software mirror.

Your only solution is a hardware raid controller, there are some cheap one on the market. Adaptec/Promise. I used to work with Dell 3 years ago, some of their controller are upgradeable to RAID, call them.

Booting from a SAN is not really recommended, and a local RAID 1 is a good solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The RAID will have to be configured before you install ESX, usually you get RAID 1 support straight from the motherboard..?

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is no mention on ESX documentation about a possibility to install a software mirror.

Your only solution is a hardware raid controller, there are some cheap one on the market. Adaptec/Promise. I used to work with Dell 3 years ago, some of their controller are upgradeable to RAID, call them.

Booting from a SAN is not really recommended, and a local RAID 1 is a good solution.

0 Kudos
natedev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like I might be able to get a daughterboard to replace the Dell SAS 5/i with the Dell PERC 5/i SAS. My problem was that I couldn't get the usual PERC cards because they're PCI-e and I have PCI-X risers in my 1950's so I could use the QLogic QLA-4052C. I was hoping to be able to do some setup today but it sounds like I've got a case of "can't get there from here." I'll have to wait for Dell to open tomorrow, place an order, wait for it to come in, and schedule someone to go to the data center to install it. Sigh.

0 Kudos