VMware Cloud Community
sfortuna74
Contributor
Contributor

Service Console Password Complexity

I was wondering if anyone here could provide some info about password complexity and the service console. Specifically, I need to account for the "root" account to our Compliance team. What I've seen so far seems to indicate that the pam_cracklib.so plugin can put restrictions on non-root users only, however what I've seen does not seem to be absolutely conclusive.

Any help is very much appreciated -

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DLeid
Expert
Expert

vShpere 4 wants a more complex password for root access to the service console. A complex password would contain at least one number, one symbol and the rest alphabitic characters.

Note: You should not logon with a root account. Use your account and elevate to root to perform operations with root permissions.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can change those password complexity settings using those security lockdown guides from Tripwire, STIG, VMware, ConfigureSoft though.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos