VMware Cloud Community
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Server overheated & shut down and now templates are orphaned

Overnight the air conditioning unit in our small data room failed and I came in this morning to find my ESX server hat shut itself down due to over heating.

I restarted it and it all seems ok apart from all the templates have now become orphaned. Does any one know why this happened? Also is there anything else I should do to make sure the system is ok after an un-expected shutdown?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why they're still showing orphaned but if you remove them from the inventory and then browse to their respective folders, you will be able to add them back into the inventory and they'll be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why they're still showing orphaned but if you remove them from the inventory and then browse to their respective folders, you will be able to add them back into the inventory and they'll be fine.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My templates showed orphaned after upgrading the server they were registered to. I had to remove and register them again to get them back.

I don't recall if that happened after the 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 upgrade though.

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This happened with my upgrade of VC to 2.0.2 so i had to re-add them. I was just annoyed it had done it again for no other reason than the shutdown. Looks like I will have to add them again Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is a weekly occurrence, I have given up hope of figuring this out.

ALL my templates dissapear for some odd reason, on different days, but pretty much every week. It's really annoying, but I don't deploy that many machines, and I know where they are now... So it's easy enough to add them back, but I do feel your pain.

I even upgraded to 3.02 (which shouldn't affect the VI console, but I was hopeful) and it still happens.

I just live with it.

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well today the templates are no longer orphaned ! What is driving me crazy is VC has now taken some VM's out of a resource pool but when ever I move them back nothing happens.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yeah, that is probably a permissions thing on the ESX host.

Let's say ESX host1 has VM's that are trying to move to the resource pool, from the VC you move VM1 and VM2, but nothing happens.

What you need to do is go on ESXhost1 (close VC first, only connect to single host), change the top level permissions for vmxuser to read only, apply. Then go right back change the permissions to administrator.

Then close VC again, open the VI console for the cluster, and see if you can move the VM's now.