VMware Cloud Community
MrPauloAndersen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Servcie Console Performance concerns with "View Console" Connections

What is the maximum number of "VM console" connections a single ESX server can support?

What steps can I take to keep performance as the number of users scale upwards of 150 at one time?

😛 Nope, I can't use remote desktop, VNC, etc.... already tried. Corp. Policy says No way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from my understanding, and I could be wrong since I have never really tested it. From the guide I posted is says:

Number of remote consoles to a virtual machine 10

so, as the SSH connections to the COS may have a max connection as well, I believe a single remote console into a VM would still stand at 10 concurrent connections.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

10 is the max number of console connections, however you may start to see your service console start taking a hit. If there is no other way, you may think about upping the memory of your COS to 800MB

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_config_max.pdf

MrPauloAndersen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

correct, that is the number of remote SSH COS connections. Does a VM console (the show VM console function) use this connection? I know it uses the Console IP addr. but does it use one of the 10 COS connections?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe it does - the VM console is driven by the Service Console -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from my understanding, and I could be wrong since I have never really tested it. From the guide I posted is says:

Number of remote consoles to a virtual machine 10

so, as the SSH connections to the COS may have a max connection as well, I believe a single remote console into a VM would still stand at 10 concurrent connections.

0 Kudos