VMware Cloud Community
BrianT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Scsi.ConflictRetries

I'm currently running ESX 3.5 U5 on several hosts, and am connected to a 3Par SAN, as well as an HP EVA 3000. 3Par is instructing me to change my Scsi.ConflictRetries from the default of 80, to the max of 200 (referenced in this VM article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020366 ) until my SAN OS upgrade is complete next week.

I'm trying to determine if there are any negative side effects to making this change. How will this impact my HP SAN?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Brain,

Increasing Scsi.ConflictRetries will not have any negative effect to your SAN.

The option is used to set the number of retries HBA does to acquire the lock on LUN for any write operations done over SCSI.

Kindly consider awarding points if this information is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Brain,

Increasing Scsi.ConflictRetries will not have any negative effect to your SAN.

The option is used to set the number of retries HBA does to acquire the lock on LUN for any write operations done over SCSI.

Kindly consider awarding points if this information is useful.

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the change of the Scsi.ConflictRetries option can be done on the fly. It does not require a boot or cause some disruption in your environment. If you notice that anything is wrong you can easily back to the old value (80). While 3Par does not solve this problem I would recommend you don't create big datastore luns (above 500 GB) because when you have a lot of VMs running on big luns it generates more scsi conflicts.

rgds,