VMware Cloud Community
markon
Contributor
Contributor

SanMelody vs NSI DoubleTake

Which solution do you thing is better, does anyone has experience with SANMelody or NSI DoubleTake, good or bad experience. Do you know any similar products?

Thanks

--

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
biekee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To my understanding Sanmelody and Doubletake are two different products: Sanmelody is a cheap SAN solution, good for testing and small ESX environments (education centres etc.).

Doubletake is replication software for building a safe backup and disaster recovery solution.

Sanmelody was running in our education centre and the performance was not optimal but good enough for its purposes. Doubletake was tested in our test environment, it suited well as a hot stand by service for vm's that not function anymore. The replicated vm's took over ip, hostname in case of disaster. So it is kind of cluster software.

I haven't seen any production environments configured with this setup.

Hope this is of any help,

bk

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SANmelody maybe a cheap solution. But well designed and for example with local sas arrays more then fast. I have setup more than one system at various customers. medical, finance, etc... all works perfect and as fast than all high-end EMC Products. Don't forget. You can use FC 4GB, you can use "fast" SAN technology as storage backbones....

Doubletake was tested in our test

environment, it suited well as a hot stand by service

for vm's that not function anymore. The replicated

vm's took over ip, hostname in case of disaster. So

it is kind of cluster software.

I haven't seen any production environments configured

with this setup.

Hope this is of any help,

bkTo my understanding Sanmelody and Doubletake are two

different products: Sanmelody is a cheap SAN

solution, good for testing and small ESX environments

(education centres etc.).

Doubletake is replication software for building a

safe backup and disaster recovery solution.

Sanmelody was running in our education centre and the

performance was not optimal but good enough for its

purposes.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Computer Associates XOSoft Wansync is a competitor of DoubleTake you might want to consider if you're doing replication of VMs to a different datacenter.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www3.ca.com/smb/product.aspx?id=5947

Datto

0 Kudos
ibmer007
Contributor
Contributor

as a follow up to Datto. personally I prefer Double Take of Xosoft. It seems faster, better support, and more reliable when we tested it.

We are using Double take to replicate both for our Exchange servers and VMware and its working like a beat.

If you are into comparing double take and Xosoft a great comparison is available at the following link Double Take vs XOsoft Wansync .

I hope that was usefull :).

Best Regards,

VMGuru007

"Nothing can't be virtualized, even people" VMware Certified Professiona (VCP) http://www.virtualizationteam.com Active Memeber
0 Kudos