VMware Cloud Community
vmisgr8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SVmotion of one VMDK?

Does anyone know how to apply the svmotion syntax to move one drive/vmdk on a server?

The svmotion pdf (vi3_rcli_svmotion.pdf) shows an example of moving a server and leaving 2 drives behind.

-

Relocate a virtual machine's storage to new_datastore, but leave disks 1 and 2 in old_datastore:

svmotion --datacenter='My DC' --vm='[old_datastore] myvm/myvm.vmx:new_datastore'

--disks='[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_1.vmdk:old_datastore,[old_datastore]

myvm/myvm_2.vmdk:old_datastore'

-

Where the vm argument references a new_datastore, and the two drives to stay behind reference the old_datastore

I want to leave the server and move one drive. I noticed that --vm is a required arguent, so I tried:

svmotion --datacenter='My DC' --vm='[old_datastore] myvm/myvm.vmx:old_datastore'

--disks='[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_1.vmdk:new_datastore'

It doesn't work. Can anyone help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kitcolbert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately moving only a single disk (and not the VM home) is not supported in VI 3.5.

This should be supported in upcoming releases.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It's hard to say since I can't read your syntax, but I think you've got it wrong:

I think you're missing the [] brackets:

svmotion --datecenter='My DC' --vm='[old_datastore] myvm/myvmx.vmx:new_datastore' --disks='[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_1.vmdk:old_datastore,[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_2.vmdk:new_datastore'

0 Kudos
kitcolbert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately moving only a single disk (and not the VM home) is not supported in VI 3.5.

This should be supported in upcoming releases.

0 Kudos
vmisgr8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I received a call back from vmware. You have to move at least the server. If you don't want all drives to follow, list all drives and put source datastore in after the colon for those you want to stay. For those you want to move, put the target datastore after the colon.

0 Kudos
dlm1975
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you tried doing this in interactive mode? It worked for me.

0 Kudos
RicardoAugusto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anybody knows if it will be supported in the next release?

Ricardo

0 Kudos