VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

SVmotion Leaving Folders?

I just performed a routine SVmotion but noticed that while everything completed successfully, the source folder was left behind. The folder is empty and I'm sure I can just deleted it but I'm wondering why the folder still exists.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

I have the excact same issue. I use the Swmotion plugin. Maybe the CLI doesn't do it. ?

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

am too facing the same issue..

Anyone can please help me out..is it safe to delete the traces of folder from source disk?

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aloha - This very same thing happens sometimes (but not always) when I cold migrate a VM to another LUN. I always delete the residue from the old LUN without ill effects.

Bill

0 Kudos
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you do svmotion check to see what's left in the folder, like any files or is it blank. If it is blank try to delete it.

I have experienced this issue and it wouldn't let me delete the folder i tried from the GUI and from the CLI but failed.

on further checking i figured it was a storage issue.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After svmotion ,yes thats leaving blank folders with name as that of VM ?

i need to know:

1. why svmotion is leaving these folders behind at source disk?

2. as suggested above it might be storage issue, so what exatcly went wrong at storage that causing this issue?

Please help ASAP.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any Update? or should i open a seperate thread for same.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I have seen this before where folders and files get split between datastores. Sometimes I have had to merge the files together. The important part is which datastore VM is looking for VMDK files. Empty folders can just be deleted.

Mike

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you use vRanger to backup your VMs? It sometimes leaves a hidden file behind that svmotion does not take into account. I think the hidden file is .vzmutex. I can usually delete it via the datastore browser (does not see the file, but will delete the directory) or via Veeam or console.

adam

vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i dnt think so that any backup tool causes this , this is so because i was just performing plain svmotion and after svmotion i found that at my source datastore folder name retains ,

one hint: during svmotion i used the option of thin provisionin disk, is this smthng that causing the blank Vm folder at source datastore.

please help me out the the guinuine cause for this and is that 100 % safe if i delete the blank folders?

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aloha,

In my opinion it's either a bug or lazy programming. I see no reason whatsoever to leave residue behind. I have deleted more blank folders than I can count. It's irritating.

Bill

0 Kudos