VMware Cloud Community
Natsidan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SVMotion with RDM's

When using Svmotion what happens to the RDM lun that is attached to the Vmdk file. I understand that the RDM is mapped by a Lun mapping file but I used SVMotion to move a vmx file and selected all vmdk files to be re located. When this had finshed there was a 12gb RDM lun attached to the vmdk file and it used the total space out of that datastore for the vmdk file and RDM file of 42GB 30 for OS and 12 for RDM file?

I want to SV motion OS disks tomorrow with 500GB rdm luns attached what will happen??.

I have looked in the datastore before moving the said vmdk files and the rdm luns if highlighted show a size of 1,000 MB but the lun is only 250GB i am a little confused.

bascially what should i select just to relocate the OS vmdk file or all files?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

The RDM LUN must be mapped to all ESX hosts that you want to be able to VMotion the VM across. It must have the same LUN number on every ESX host. If it is not available it will refuse to Vmotion the VM.

Oh. I'm sorry I was thinking VMotion not SVmotion. Please ignore.

Message was edited by: mike.laspina

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Checked on it and the RDM is not included in the Storage VMotion so the RDM LUN must be available on the target host.

I have not tested this.

Is there a snapshot on the VM. That will consume space on the vmfs store.

This info came form RTFM.

As for RDM’s - they will not be supporting cloning the data in the RDM from one LUN to another - so this is NOT a replication technology, and its not about “high availability” or diaster recovery either. For the new feature to work you will have to do an upgrade of your ESX host software to expect to see this in ESX 3.5. As ever no-one is forthcoming on when this feature will be available. Unless you have signed an NDA of course!

Maybe I have it wrong. I words like it may create a vmdk for it?

Message was edited by: mike.laspina snapshot Q

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos