VMware Cloud Community
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

SVMotion Failure

There seems to be plenty of solution for fixing a failed SVMotion if the VM is powered up but does the following work once the VM is powered down and the only option is 'Complete Migration'?

Creates a snapshot

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/48f4b25a-389c3331-ce05-001cc477ac02/machine/machine.vmx createsnapshot snapname snapdescription 1 1

Removes the snapshot

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/48f4b25a-389c3331-ce05-001cc477ac02/machine/machine.vmx removesnapshots

Clears dmotion parent in the vmx file.

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/48f4b25a-389c3331-ce05-001cc477ac02/machine/machine.vmx setconfig scsi0:0.DMotionParent ""

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/48f4b25a-389c3331-ce05-001cc477ac02/machine/machine.vmx setconfig scsi0:1.DMotionParent ""

If not how would I recover as I have 2 VMs in my VC inventory which only have the 'Complete Migration' option......

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

When a VM is in a powered down state where the only option is to 'Complete Migration' the vmx file is not accessible. Pointing the vmware-cmd command at the vmx returns - VMControl error -11: No such virtual machine.

The only thing left to do is to remove all config files manually and re-create the VM and add disk etc back in. The orphaned VM can then be removed from the host it thinks it resides on by removing the VC and aam agents, dropping the host from the cluster and readding it.

To find the agents type the following

rpm -qa |grep vpxa

rpm -qa |grep aam

To remove agents

rpm -e {agent name]

Disconnect then Remove host from cluster then add back to cluster. This will remove orphaned VM.

0 Kudos