VMware Cloud Community
spacebass5000
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP - Querying VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB

I am trying to monitor some ESX hosts via SNMP. I have completed everything found in the following document:

I've even uncommented the following line in snmpd.conf so the vmware MIBs are loaded:

dlmod SNMPESX /usr/lib/vmware/snmp/libSNMPESX.so

Unfortunately, when I try to query part of the VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB (cpuUtil), I get the following error:

# snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.3.1.2.1.3

Error in packet

Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.

Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.6876.3.1.2.1.3

I'm at a loss for what to do now. I have looked all over the internet, read all sorts of docs, and haven't a clue how to make this work. Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
spacebass5000
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, the reason why this didn't return anything is because the cpuTable holds counters for the cpus occupied by each VM. As this particular ESX machine was not currently hosting any VMs, I didn't get any output. Shocking I know...

Still, this doesn't really resolve my problem. I simply want to query the ESX server from Nagios for the info provided by esxtop. I have not figured out an elegant way to handle this as esxtop is only allowed execution via the root user. I would prefer to not configure shared ssh keys for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
MRSNMP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>I simply want to query the ESX server from Nagios for the info provided by esxtop.

The closest would be to use one of the vSphere (formerly VIM API) toolkits to access:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/cpu_counters.html

0 Kudos