VMware Cloud Community
KunZ
Contributor
Contributor

SATA support patch available for 3.x???

Hello everybody,

Does it exist a patch for ESX 3.x to support physical SATA drives? Or will it be only available in 3.5?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

I personally do not know of any patches (current or forthcoming) that will result in installing ESX 3.0.x onto SATA drives as a supported configuration. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will eagerly pounce at the chance to correct me.

While doing so is NOT supported, my understanding is that it is "possible" to install ESX 3.0.x onto SATA by using the proper disk controller, etc. See the links below for some more information:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/27693

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Virtualdud3 is correct on this. There is no support for SATA controllers. ESX 3.5 will add that and while I haven't seen a list of supported devices so far a number of PC and laptops have been mentioned to work - .

As an aside, if you SAN is on the supported list, then you can use SATA disks in it.